Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ran

I’m not quite sure what to think about the movie, Ran. I was excited about the movie at first, however, throughout the rest of the movie, I found myself getting very bored of the film.

The visual aspects of this movie were great. I loved the scenery of the entire film. The first few shots really caught my attention and kept my attention for a majority of the film. The only visual parts of the film that I was not really fond of were the fighting scenes. I thought they were way too long and I felt like I was watching the same scene over and over again. In fact, at one point during one of the fighting scenes, I turned to the person next to me and we agreed that we had seen the same exact shot more than once during one of the major fighting scenes.

The movie became boring to me only because I felt like the situations with the characters were much too drawn out. The movie could have ended much earlier than it actually did. By the end of the film, I was ready to leave and had been ready to leave 45 earlier.

Even so, I admired the costumes and the makeup that was used for the characters. They created some extremely interesting and intense characters that had unique personalities all throughout the movie. There was also some humor in Ran which I admired and found quirky and fun.

I suppose I’m indifferent to this film. I really enjoyed the visuals in terms of the scenery and costumes and makeup. I did not, however, enjoy the length of the film or the major fighting scenes which I found repetitious and a little boring.

No comments: