Sunday, November 23, 2008

Blade Runner

I was a little let down after viewing Bladerunner. I suppose that because I heard such great things about the film that my hopes were a bit too high. I’m also not a huge fan of sci-fi films so my opinion of the film could also be a bit biased.

However, as an example of film noir, I thought Bladerunner fit the criteria. The use of a city setting, low, dark lighting and fog are only a few of the characteristics that classify Bladerunner as film noir.

I really enjoyed the use of fog and dark, eerie lighting as well as rain throughout the film. These aspects helped with the suspense and the obscurity of the movie. Additionally these effects helped to convince me that Blade Runner fits into the style of film noir. One particular scene that really sold me on accepting that Blade Runner is indeed film noir was the scene in which Harrison Ford walks into the vacated apartment building. He walks in while fog from the rain surrounds him. He is also pictured wearing a large trench coat. This seems to be one of the typical classic film noir scenes. After viewing this scene of Blade Runner I was convinced that this movie is in indeed film noir. However, other than convincing me of it’s credibility as an example of film noir, I cannot say I enjoyed many other aspects of Blade Runner.

No comments: