Monday, November 3, 2008

Casablanca

On many movie lists such as “Top 100 All Time Best Movies Ever” I have always noticed that the film Casablanca is always on the lists. Since I had never seen Casablanca before, I really did not understand why it was on the list. However, after viewing Casablanca, I can understand a little more as to why it is regarded as one of the best movies ever made.

For the most part I really enjoyed this movie. However, there were times when I felt a little bored with the film. I mostly enjoyed the plot. I thought it was cleverly twisted and humorous as well. It was definitely a movie to sit down and not think and simply relax to.

However, I felt as if some parts in the film were pretty corny. This could be because of the time during which it was made. For people back in the 1940’s, this movie probably was not as corny or goofy as I felt it was. The murder scenes were ridiculously unrealistic. The famous “Here’s looking at you, Kid” line, I felt, was a little over used and almost used at inappropriate times. I felt like when the line was used, it was in the wrong context or it was just so random. It could have been because throughout the entire movie I was expecting to hear the line and so when I finally did hear it, it just jumped at me and made too much of an impact. Even so, I felt as if that specific line had been a little played up and therefore made it kind of silly when I actually heard the line.

In terms of one of the greatest movies ever made, I feel as if people regard this movie as one of the best because of the plot and some of the ‘twists’. And, because of this movie’s creative plot, I too enjoyed this movie. However, I’m not sure I would regard Casablanca as one of the best movies ever made.

No comments: