Monday, October 20, 2008

I Wasn't Left so Breathless After all...

Image from: http://blogs.indiewire.com/reverseshot/archives/breathless%20criterion%20PDVD_020.jpg


To be completely honest, I’m not quite sure how I felt about this film. The movie Breathless was one of the most awkward movies I have ever seen. It was confusing, it made no sense, and I feel like it demanded a lot of patience from the viewer. However, I really enjoyed the beginning of the film, but towards the middle-end of the movie, I was lost in the confusion.
I feel that what made the movie so confusing was the confusing dialogue between the actors. Things that the actors said to each other were very confusing and usually did not make any sense. It didn’t seem very natural or realistic whatsoever. Many parts of the movie seemed almost goofy or tacky. Part of this goofiness and confusion was seen directly from one of the main characters; Patricia. Patricia Franchini was dramatic one second, calm the next. She knew what she wanted and then confused everyone, even herself, the next second.
I feel like the confusion and uncomfortable feelings I felt throughout the entire movie simply built up so that when the movie was finished I almost felt relieved. I felt relieved that the main character, Michel had died so now Patricia could go on with her life, hopefully in a sane fashion, and I felt relieved simply because the movie was finished.
However, the film did use some interesting editing techniques that could be worth mentioning. Still, other than to observe or analyze the obscure use of editing in this film, I’m not completely sure this movie is one that I would want to watch again.

No comments: