Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Godfather

Image from: http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0198.jpg

I'm really glad that I was finally able to view this film. The Godfather has been my father’s favorite movie for many years and now I can finally talk to him about the movie. I was a little skeptical at first because I had seen bits and pieces of the movie on television here and there and it seemed a little boring. However, I was wrong. I really enjoyed The Godfather. I thought the story moved well and kept my interest the entire time. Marlon Brando was excellent and now I can finally laugh when people do his impression (although too many people do the Godfather impression way too often).
Although I was a bit confused towards the end of the film, especially with all of the Italian names and the five families and heads of the families, I think I left with a clear idea of what happened throughout the duration of the film. I have to be honest, however, that this is probably one of those films which I am going to have to watch over again to understand the story line a bit better. But, I still thought that the story was great; filled with action and deception and love – all the stuff we enjoy watching.
The ending was probably my favorite part only because of the irony of it all. While Michel Corleone was becoming a godfather he was also having each of the heads of the five families killed off. He was going through a ‘spiritual’ godly affair while on the other side of his ‘personality’ he was murdering many people. I thought the difference between the two was great and the way the director corresponded the killings with Michel’s promises to God made for a great ending.
In all, I really enjoyed The Godfather and I can finally now share this movie with my own father. The story line was great, the acting was done well and the ending was satisfying. I will definitely watch this movie over again and hopefully continue to love it just as much.

1 comment:

Kevin M said...

Yes! As Michael's nephew is baptized with holy water, Michael is, in effect, baptized in blood. It's one of the most powerful sequences in film history, as far as I'm concerned!