Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Psycho Remake Review

This remake of Psycho definitely does not even compare to the original. I did not feel the connection I felt with the original Marion (Janet Leigh). In the original version, especially during the car scene, I felt as if I could relate with Marion, especially with the feelings she was experiencing while she was driving away. In the second version, Marion was not as expressive with her facial expressions and her eyes. The scenes that she imagined in her mind were not as detailed. In the original version, Marion went through more scenes in her mind. I also did not feel as connected with Norman. In the original film, when Marion was talking with Norman and Norman expressed how everyone goes a little crazy, etc, I almost felt myself relating with Norman. In class we even talked about how we ended up sympathizing or feeling bad for Norman in the original version. In the remake, I simply felt that Norman was nuts and I could not feel bad for him because I did not feel as if I knew him as well, or felt sympathy for him.
A final disappointment was the fact that I was not as surprised that Norman was the killer in the remake. This could possibly be because I now know the plot of the movie, but I think that it was pretty obvious that Norman was the killer in the remake. He was much more psycho and his character was portrayed as an extremely creepy and perverted man. In the original, Norman was portrayed as a bit more innocent and “boyish” so that when you did finally realize that he was the killer, you were a bit more shocked or upset that he was the killer. In the remake, I almost felt myself wanting Norman to be the killer so that he could receive his punishment because he was such an extremely guilty, awful character.

1 comment:

Remdizzle said...

yes you are right. I think I said that on my blog as well that Vince's portrayal of Norman wasn't like Anthony's because he was just creepy from the start and not innocent looking. Well but from the movie(remake) I also kinda felt that they might have been going for that immediate creepiness and maybe thats why the audience of today might have immediately known it was Norman and probably that might be why the explanation of the psychologist wasn't that detailed because we could already figure it out as we are smarter today...or just watch a lot more scary movies.